Saturday 29 October 2016

Between the Antique Swedish Chairs I Went in Chase


I raced down the side of the street chasing after my prey with a synthetic focus that man was probably not supposed to possess. Too bad for my quarry. He ducked into a door as I whipped between a set of hanging sheets just barely in time to glimpse the sole of his right foot disappear through the alcove.

 


I leapt over a synthetic wicker basket, probably painted on the Cape, and slammed on my heels to gain purchase on the asphalt to right-angle it into the same door without wasting any time. I had to get him.

The first thing I noticed was the darkness. The second thing I noticed were the stairs; the only way was up. I blinked the short sequence to activate the night vision in my contacts at the same time as I breathed the sequence to squirt the necessary extra adrenal fluid and stims into my blood. 

While I bounded up the steps taking three at a time I blinked another sequence and time slowed down to a crawl, or at least my mind was now experiencing time go by ten times more slowly than usual. This allowed me to effectively think ten times as fast a normal person.

Now I could see in the dark, I was jacked up on adrenaline and stimulants and everything slowed down from my perspective so I could take my time thinking through my next moves and plan while I ran. I had no time to lose because the man I was chasing was a pro and he was getting away. I watched him get to the last stair, like a fat fish floating through the sea on the way to the surface. 

In what seemed like minutes, he slowly rotated a bit as he began to run down a hallway. My advantages allowed me to make it to the top a lot faster than him. I barely felt any exertion at all. Climbing stairs was no effort and I was soon in the hallway too and right behind him.

Once again he ducked into a door and disappeared. I followed. The room I entered was bright and airy and he was gone! My contacts automatically adjusted so I wasn't blinded by the light. Tiny half-inch drones buzzed my head, my prey's defensive measures. 

To my right was an antique Gustavian desk and in front of me was a large open window with its curtains flowing in the breeze. To my left was a pair of antique Swedish chairs on either side of an odd-looking door. I took this all in within a half a second and swatted at my enemy's drones with an armored and weaponized forearm.

Shit! Did he go through the window or the door?! It seemed as if it was a fifty-fifty chance and I had to flip a mental coin. But if I chose wrong, he would get away, I didn't have time to choose incorrectly. He was too good and too fast for mistakes. There was something about the chairs. One seemed askance. Maybe he bumped it as he passed? 

I made my choice, he went through the door between the chairs, I was sure of it.  As I accelerated towards the door, I noticed why it all seemed so odd. There was no door. He had set a trap hoping I would choose the door. An almost invisible force field was extended between the antique chairs and when I tried to run through, the force field not only stopped me, but electrocuted me in the process, rendering me useless and writhing on the floor in painful convulsions. I had lost him and it was over.